TouchWiz is probably one of the most hated UI. If you don’t believe me, just check the comments left by people on Galaxy-related posts. But this didn’t stop Smando of XDA Developers from porting the latest TouchWiz UX launcher used on Samsung Galaxy S3 to Galaxy S2. The original XDA thread doesn’t include any installation guide and we’re here to help you with that 🙂
Before we begin we have to warn you that in case it screws up your phone, we are not personally responsible for it. Installing or “flashing” .zip files among other things is dangerous and may brick your phone under certain circumstances. Once it becomes bricked it becomes as useless as a brick. But I have flashed custom ROMs, recoveries, and other .zip files on my Samsung Galaxy S2 without any problem so there’s no reason to fear it. Just follow instructions carefully to keep this from happening.
• Rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-i9100 (international version)
• Custom Recovery, preferably ClockworkMod
• TouchWiz-based ROM, original or custom
• At least 60% battery life on your phone
• Recommended: Perform a Nandroid backup by going to Recovery Mode and selecting backup and restore > backup. Remember to check if backup for a successful backup by going to backup and restore > restore.
1. Download the latest TouchWiz UX from this thread (currently v1.4). Choose one of the two versions available: 4×5 or 5×5. 4×5 is the stock layout where there are 4 columns and 5 rows in the App Drawer. 5×5 is a custom layout where there are 5 columns and 5 rows.
2. Transfer the downloaded .zip file from Step 1 to your SD card.
3. Turn off your phone.
4. Go to Recovery Mode by long-pressing on Volume Up + Menu + Power
5. In recovery, go to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the file from Step 2. Wait until it is over.
6. After a successful installation, select “Go Back” and “Reboot system now”
7. If you have a custom home launcher prior to installation, you’ll be prompted to choose which you will use. Select TWLauncher and don’t forget to set it in default!