Weighing only 6 ounces and standing at 5 inches tall, the HTC EVO 3D is a real upgrade from its predecessors, the 4G generation smartphones. However, even though the innovative technology and style are obvious, the truth is that the design is still familiar to smartphone enthusiasts. One of the features that you are surely going to appreciate about the HTC EVO is the better and easier hold and grip, as it has additional texture on the back surface.
Even though you can easily hold and manage the smartphone in one hand, you should know that it is a powerful device equipped with a micro-USB port, AC adapter, dual core 1.2 GHz processor and a 5-megapixel camera that allows you to create videos and pictures 2D or 3D. In addition, the 3D display includes the optimum dimensions, 540 by 960 qHD, for a clear and sharp text and image on the monitor. Moreover, the HTC EVO will offer the user the possibility to choose between the HTC virtual keyboard and SWYPE for text entry.
Specifications: A quick look at its main features
• It is equipped with a powerful 1.2 GHz Snapdragon SoC processor and 1GB of RAM that ensures a fast navigation throughout the menus and files;
• The monitor includes a 540×960 pixel super qHD LCD display that is the optimum dimension for clear images, videos and texts;
• The device has strong CDMA/GSM radio capabilities that are compatible with CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A, WiFi b/g/n, WiMAX, GPS/AGPS, Bluetooth 3.0 and FM;
• Enable around 14 hours of usage before the battery runs low;
• It includes a 5 megapixel autofocus camera and dual LED flash for the 3D camera;
• Provides the possibility to switch between 2D and 3D camera mode;
• Sprint added a minimum of pre-installed applications with the most common software you can need in a smartphone, Adobe Reader, MP3, Polaris Office, Qik Vid, some video games and some custom Sprint apps.
What we like
The HTC EVO 3D has certainly come a long way from the first 4G generations of smartphones. Thanks to the powerful processor and 1GB of RAM, you can be sure that your mobile will not get stuck when you start an application and you can browse its menus with no unnecessary delays. At the same time, one pleasant feature of the HTC EVO is the fact that it allows you to switch between 2D and 3D camera by pressing a single button. In addition, the qHD resolution of the display is eye-friendly and hence, you can be sure that you will not have to deal with headaches or red eyes if you watch videos on it for a longer period.
What we don’t like
The biggest problem with the HTC EVO 3D is the battery life, as most customers complain picture taking or video making consumes a lot of the battery’s juice. Therefore, if you are sightseeing for example, it is advisable that you carry a charger with you. The other feature that the customers are unhappy with is that the WiMAX radio capabilities are not working properly, especially in areas where it is hard to get a strong signal, such as San Francisco.
Even though you can choose to switch through the 2D and 3D features, the truth is that many smartphone enthusiasts feel that Sprint has made a lot of compromises on the cameras and they could have worked a bit more on the display. Despite these flaws, customers rate the HTC EVO 3D as above average.
In a nutshell
Overall, the EVO 3D seems like a powerful device considering the hardware. Sure, it is not the top-notch technology when it comes to the cameras, however, the two-stage camera button easily compensates for that.