It’s been a while since rooting HTC One X was possible but to the disappointment of AT&T users, the bootloader of HTC One XL was still lock. This meant they’re still unable to install custom ROMs on the AT&T version of HTC One X. All that is changed now – its bootloader finally gets unlocked. It basically fools your AT&T HTC One XL that it is from Rogers Canada which is its Canadian, bootloader unlocked version.
The process isn’t easy so unless you know understand ADB and know how to use it, we don’t recommend you unlock the bootloader of your phone. You must also know this erases all data on your phone so you’ll have to start from scratch. We recommend you perform a backup. Prerequisites include charging your phone to at least 60 percent and a rooted HTC One XL. If you haven’t done that yet, you can check our rooting guide.
1. Launch the command prompt and go to the directory where you have ADB installed.
2. Type “adb shell” and hit ENTER
3. Type “su” and hit ENTER. At this point, you have root privileges on your phone.
4. Now, type “dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p4”. This will dump the partition on your SD card.
5. Next, type “exit” and hit ENTER. Type “exit” again and hit ENTER. You should be back at the command prompt.
6. Back at the command prompt type “adb pull /sdcard/mmcblk0p4” and hit ENTER.
7. Open the mmcblk0p4 file with your hex editor.
8. Search for offset 00000210. You should see CWS_001 together with your IMEI number.
9. Change CWS_001 to ROGER001 and save the file as mmcblk0p4MOD
10. Go back to command prompt and type “adb push mmcblk0p4MOD/sdcard/mmcblk0p4MOD” and hit ENTER.
11. Now type “adb shell” and hit ENTER.
12. Type “su” and hit ENTER once again. You will be taken back to the Android shell where you will be granted root privileges.
13. Type in “dd if=/sdcard/mmcblk0p4MOD of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4” and hit ENTER.
14. Restart the phone into fastboot by typing “adb reboot bootloader” and hitting ENTER.
15. When the bootloader screen comes up, type “fastboot oem readcid” and hit ENTER. You should see “ROGER001” and means the process was successful.
16. Now, type “fastboot em get_identifier_token” and hit ENTER.
17. Go to htcdev.com/bootloader, select “all other supported models” from the tab on the right and look for HTC One X on the list of supported devices whose bootloaders can be unlocked. Follow the process from there 🙂
Told you it wasn’t easy. It’s only worth unlocking the bootloader of your HTC One XL if you plan to install custom ROMs on it later on. Otherwise, just stick to rooting your phone from now and enjoy its benefits.